6.26.2009

Name Calling


There’s something I’ve started noticing of late. It’s small, really. I haven’t even mentioned it to Michael but I need to because it deserves honorable mention.

When Michael talks on the phone to someone ~ and it doesn’t really matter who ~ he includes me in the conversation. Says my name, may ask me a question or get my opinion on something. It’s kind of cool.

This may seem like no big deal to you but for me…it’s huge. In the past, hearing Michael speak my actual name filled me with dread; it always meant that he was irritated with me or that a fight was getting ready to ensue or that he was getting ready to interrogate me for some imagined infidelity. Now that he’s listening to my heart and living with me in an understanding way, that feeling has become a thing of the past. It’s strange how just a small change can bring about such a difference. Honestly, I don’t even think he’s aware of it.

I found this quote from a little boy of 4 and let me tell you…he gets it!

"When someone loves you, the way they say your name is different. You know that your name is safe in their mouth."

I love this! I love Michael! And I love when he says my name!

No comments:

Post a Comment