6.22.2009

It's Just Because He Likes You


Remember when you were a kid in grade school and if boy came up and pushed, teased or hit you, you were told (usually by your mom; sometimes by your dad) that it was just because he liked you? I know I was told that and, I’m ashamed to admit, I’ve said the same thing to my boys.

I never used to give this playground right-of-passage a second thought but I’m starting to. Talk about being conditioned to believe that if someone cared about you it would be evident when they were mean to you! I think its part and parcel with the whole ‘Bad Boy’ syndrome that so many women fall victim to. Why do we do this? What is it about being mistreated that has fooled us into thinking we’re loved? When did, “he didn’t really mean to say that” or “he didn’t really mean to hit me” become our excuse for not being treated like the daughters of God that we are? God calls a man to love his wife unconditionally; ‘to present her to Himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.’

I need Michael to cherish me; to support me and be my advocate; to walk with me in love and kindness and to pursue me always as his bride. Its sad how often the enemy tries to stop this…and even sadder that it started when I was a child.

1 comment:

  1. I've never considered this playground 'play' in this light before. Very interesting thought. I'll be viewing that differently from now on. Thanks for the insight!

    Nicole
    www.nicolewick.com

    ReplyDelete