9.15.2009

The Power Of Words To Hurt Or Heal


"Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body." James 3:5-6

Michael and I have been going through James and last night we read chapter 3 on taming the tongue. Neither of us realized how this would relate to what we read about on AOL this morning with regard to last nights MTV Music Awards show.

Our hearts ached when we saw this. Miss Swift was left speechless and humiliated by the words that Mr. West spoke during her acceptance speech. His words and actions were beyond rude and insensitive; he not only embarassed Miss Swift, but also himself and Beyonce.

In our time within the marriage ministry we've heard a lot of words full of hurt and, I daresay, hate said between husbands and wives. And I'd be lying if I said that Michael and I never said those kinds of words to one another in our bad days. I can remember telling Michael that he was just like his father (a horribly abusive man in every way) and Michael telling me that he wasn't even sure if our baby was his.

I (Michael) remember telling Annalea that I was beginning to get how much I hurt her and that I was fully committed to changing into the man that God has called me to be and the man that Annalea needed me to be. This was a huge promise and declaration on my part and required me to right a lot wrongs. I needed to recognize how I was hurting her and begin to apologize to her with a genuine commitment to changing for the better.

A bit later in the awards show, Beyonce recognized how Miss Swift was hurt and graciously, with words and deed, took action to make it right. With Annalea, whenever I saw there was an opportunity for me to apologize to her I would do it whether in private or in public and at times have been prompted by a scene in a movie we watch together or the words to a song I hear on the radio. I still do this. My whole goal is to bring healing to her heart with words and deeds that uplift her, validate her and bless her.

Whether we speak them or hear them, words mean things and it's our desire that the words we speak on our Tuesday night ministry calls will help and bless you and your marriage. Michael and I hope you'll join us tonight (and every Tuesday night) at 7pm (pst) to say hello and let us know if there's any way we can help. Just dial 512-716-6531 access code 981128#

Remember, if we can do it....You Can Do It Too!

No comments:

Post a Comment